Friends, Runs, Beer, Food, and Delayed Flights

I’m currently waiting at the airport to fly to New York and then to Boston, we sat on the plane for 45 minutes until they decided that the wait would be too long in the small airplane so they loaded us all back out into the airport until the skies in New York have cleared up. But that gives me time to write about my week so I guess it isn’t so bad! I’ll probably finish my current book by the time I arrive in Massachusetts today.


Rachel and Molly visited from Wednesday until Friday this week and we packed so much in. I felt bad because on the first day I thought it would be fun to walk the mile on the beach to the Pier for lunch. We were all dripping in sweat by the time we sat down at the restaurant.. We had Ian pick us up when he got out of work so we didn’t have to endure that on the way back.


Later on we went to 80/20 burger bar for dinner and then O’Connors Brewing Company for trivia after. The trivia was way too hard! Who has ever heard of bird’s nest soup and its ingredients??


After sleeping in on Thursday we went to into the Freemason neighborhood to get coffee and walk around- I love that whole area. While I had friends visit I took the two days off from running, sometimes I forget its okay to not run sometimes! As much as I love it, the small breaks do help.


Afterwards we stopped back at our apartment, grabbed beach stuff, and headed to the Virginia Beach waterfront with some sandwiches from Taste.


It was hot and WINDY, so sitting on the beach wasn’t the most relaxing thing in the world since sand was whipping at us the whole time. We stuck it out for a while before deciding to go get a drink before heading back instead.


We got back just in time before the thunderstorms hit and then we headed to show Molly and Rachel downtown and Grain. Ian and I shared a flight before our meals came.


We stayed there for a good while, and when the weather got sunny and clear again we decided to go on the ferry to Portsmouth to meet Ian’s coworkers at Legends Brewing. They had the best Purple Pale Ale that tasted like vanilla! And obviously Molly and Rachel had to pretend they were in the Titanic.


Friday was the last day they were visiting so we did Fort Monroe first thing.

I always have to get a coffee from Firehouse Coffee!


We went to Colley Avenue for lunch (we were so hungry by 1pm!) and I finally got to try out the Green Onion. I still dream about this meal.


Finally we went to the Chrysler Museum before we needed to take them to the airport. I was sad they had to leave!!

I was so tired on Saturday so we didn’t really do too much. I went to Fort Monroe to run 6 miles when I got up and then sat on the couch for most of the day. We caught up on a lot of “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Later in the day we went for a tea and a coffee before swimming!


Ian made plans on Sunday to do a driving tour of Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown. I got up early to run a quick three miles before we left – It was so much fun, I can’t believe we hadn’t done it before! Walking around Yorktown was my favorite part.


Going random places and exploring with Ian is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. I’m happy he is always down to go find a new coffee shop and count that as an adventure!


We got back home around 1 and I was able to finish The Hate U Give at the beach. Ian came at the end to go swimming again! It’s so nice not having to drive anywhere to swim.


Yesterday I ran another 6 miles early so that I could beat the heat. Then I started Where’d You Go Bernadette. I’m only half way through so far but I can already tell that this will one of my all time favorite books. Some of the book is written in a normal fashion, but most of it is told through emails, newspaper clippings, headlines, brochures, and letters. It’s one of those books I’m trying not to too read too fast because I want to make it last!


I started packing before Ian got back from work because he had got us tickets to a Norfolk Tides game! It was 50 cents night (hot dogs, drinks, and popcorn were all $0.50). For $4 we got so. much. food.


We stayed late enough that waking up this morning was harder than it should have been, but it was definitely worth it! I can’t wait to get in some Cape Cod runs this week 🙂

If I ever get there that is..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s